Tails ( The Amnesic Incognito Live System ) is a Linux distribution dedicated to debian-based ‘ anonymity and security on the Internet, as it is designed to run in live mode – even though they are also options to store data in a persistent way, for example on a USB stick – and is configured to use the internet via permanent connection through the TOR network : unlike what happens on TOR-based programs (eg TOR browser bundle), it is not just the browser to enjoy anonymity, but all programs that access the internet preinstalled in the system.
Tails also provides tools also extremely useful for encryption and the final destruction files and folders: you could not ask for more to be safe, secure, and be sure to use your operating system on any PC without leaving a trace.
Tails has been updated just recently to version 0.16, which brings with it many improvements to the system, all users who use earlier versions of Tails should update the their support to this release to be sure to rely on an operating system absolutely safe and free from any security breach. In this version, in fact, there is a improved support for encrypted keys, several updates to the preinstalled software, improvements to the translations, better management of IPv6 and HTTPS and many, many bugfixes. Here’s the full changelog:
- Replace the too-easy-to-Misclick shutdown button with a better “Shutdown Helper” applet.
~ / PersistentPlaces in GNOME and GTK file chooser.
- dictionaries for a few languages.
- September Unsafe browser’s window title to “Unsafe Browser”.
- Install ekeyd to support the EntropyKey.
- Install font for Sinhala script.
- Poedit Update to 1.5.4.
- Expose Vidalia’s “broken onion” icon less.
- Hide the persistence setup launchers in kiosk mode.
- Disable IPv6 on all network interfaces. This is a workaround for the IPv6 link-local multicast That leak was recently discovered.
- Tails may previously have been atto list GPT partitions labeled “TailsData” on hard drives (!) as valid persistence volumes … this is now fixed.
- Fix SCIM in the autostarted web browser.
- Talk of DVD, not of CD, in the shutdown messages.
- tordate work in bridge mode with an incorrect clock.
- Update iceweasel to 10.0.12esr-1 + tails1.
- Set the homepage to the news section on the website Tails.
- iceweasel Hide the add-on bar by default.
- Do not hide the AdBlock-Plus button in the add-on bar anymore.
- Do not install xul-ext-monkeysphere anymore.
- tails-greeter: add German translation, update, Portuguese (Brasil) and Russian ones.
- tails-persistence-setup: update French, German and Italian translations.
can download directly from Tails here to burn it or install it on a USB drive, and immediately begin to browse and use your PC in total anonymity.